Saturday, December 20, 2008

Just Another Reason...

Why I absolutely can't stand when the Obamas claim they care about the military so much.

I complained about it a few times during the campaign, especially when he would bring it up in the debates and then there was that clip where he said he would cut funding and another where he said he thought about joining the military once but didn't think it was important. And I would cringe every time I saw Michelle having a "town hall meeting" with spouses at military bases. It always seemed to disingenuous.

But according to Michelle military families are going to be one of her "issues" as first lady:

I would be honored to be first lady. I would work daily on the issues closest to my heart: helping working women and families, particularly military families.


Fast forward to the present day and the Obamas want to move into the Blair House (guest house across the street from the White House) early because their kids start school January 5. Unfortunately for them it will not be available until January 15, which is the traditional move in date for president elects.

OK, as part of a military family all I can think is cry me a river.

But it gets better! On Friday's Good Morning America they had a segment on this story and David Wright tells us the this little nugget of information:
The White House kindly offered up temporary accommodations on a nearby military base. The Obamas politely declined.

HA! Michelle dear, by either moving to Washington on the 15th or staying on the military base you'll finally have one thing in common with a military family: Uprooting your family at a not so convenient time for you school aged children or living in military housing (although you'd be staying in a much nicer house than most other military families). But I guess you are too good for either. I really get a kick out of the fact that they declined to stay on a military base when she says that military families are an issue close to her heart. I guess we are like a charitable novelty. One of those things that sound good in theory but god forbid you have to live where they do for 10 days (horrors!). She always seemed so insincere when talking to these military spouses, bored even. She never cared about them before but all of a sudden they are dear to her heart? I always thought she was trying to repair her image after saying she was proud of her country for the first time in her adult life and that America was a downright mean country. And now I believe that even more.

So next time I hear her or Obama try to tell us that they support our military or that the military families are dear to their hearts I'm going to think about him saying he didn't think it was important to serve, that as president he'd cut defense spending and that they declined to stay on a military base when the Bush administration was trying to accommodate them in their desire to move to DC early and then I will throw up in my mouth a little.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

She irks me more than he does!! I told you this girl who I used to work with's brother was on the ground that day Obama landed in...was it Germany?...and went to the gym instead of going to the hospital. He said they all came out to greet him and were excited to meet him and he just brushed past them without so much as a wave.

Roxy said...

Yeah about that, we wouldn't expect them to actually stay there for a few days when he couldn't be bothered to stay there to visit wounded soldiers. Another example of them talking out of both sides of their mouths.

Anonymous said...

After three years working on behalf of families I can tell you Senator Obama's office had no interest whatsoever in our issues. Repeated outreach to his office were rebuffed. Suddenly Mrs. Obama is our champion?? Please, just like Hillary Clinton she reaches out to those who are likely to afford the most votes. Unfortunately, more than half our current force entered active duty after the miserable Clinton years. They know not yet what they have done by voting a man they knew nothing about into the seat of Commander in Chief.