Saturday, July 5, 2008

We are STILL Paying for Them?

So yesterday I was going to get my Starbucks fix with BFF and on the way out of our nice middle class subdivision this ghetto looking family is coming out of one of the brand new, never been lived in before, houses. I commented to BFF that something didn't look right with that picture and then she told me that they are a Katrina family. WHAT!?!?!?! It's been almost 3 years!!!

This isn't the first Katrina family in our neighborhood. Just a few months after the hurricane another Katrina family moved into a foreclosure just a few houses down the street from this one. That's fine, it was a foreclosure anyway and was sitting there empty. The storm had just passed and people needed a place to stay to get back on their feet. The lease was supposed to be for 6 months but at the end of the time the people didn't want to move and would not answer the doors and tried other tactics till they were finally forced out.

Now 3 YEARS later people have moved into a brand spankin new house, being paid for by vouchers that I help pay for as a tax payer. And I'm left wondering what the heck have they been doing for the last 3 YEARS that they are still getting vouchers for housing and living in my neighborhood in a house that costs more than mine and not paying a dime of their own for it. When is enough enough? When do they start taking responsibility for making their own living and getting their own place with their own funds? This is truly ridiculous.

I went looking online for some information about this because I just could not believe that our government is still paying 3 years later.

This article talks about the looming housing crisis when these people are forced to actually pay for their housing.

And this one I found in the comments section of another article and I thought it was funny. It doesn't have to do with Katrina housing, instead it's about demolishing the projects in NO. The comments are great.

No comments: