Friday, August 29, 2008

Wow!






I spent all morning checking the news to see if McCain's VP pick had been leaked and finally there it was. Talk about surprise! WOW! That is just awesome. And I must say that my friend Sarah called it way back in June because she's just too good. And how exciting is she? I really had no clue he would go with someone like her over one of the shoe ins. I personally thought it would be the very predictable Mitt Romney. But wow. I think it's great. My mom called to ask me about her, then she said never mind my step dad had already looked her up and read all about her. My husband, who is not the political type, called me when he got home from work and told me he had read a lot about her since he found out and that he thought she was great. He also said that a bunch of his hunting and fishing buddies were saying that they also looked her up and thought she was great. At PW's soccer game the other parents and I were all talking about her, those that aren't familiar with her asking about her wanting to find out. I think it's just great that this one announcement this morning has caused such a huge buzz around a campaign I was sure was withering up and turning to dust.

Compare that to the fact that there was so much buzz surrounding Obama sending out those text messages announcing his VP (yeah so much for that) and how it was talked about for a while that day on the news but it took my mom like 2 days to call and ask who Biden was, as opposed to waiting 5 hours till I got off work to call about Palin. The day Biden was announced was the day of PW's first soccer game and no one said a word about it, as opposed to all the parents and the coach talking about Palin. Point McCain.

I don't know what other's like about Palin and what they see in her that makes her so appealing (apart from those that think cold state hot governor lol)but I know what I think. Reading about her past and who she is I see someone who is just like me. She grew up in a middle class family, she didn't go to an Ivy League school, she grew up in a really small town in Alaska (ok so I grew up in a big town in Florida so that's nothing like me lol) and she's a mother, and she was a mother before she was a politician. Seeing her give her speech today really inspired me for the first time this election season. Even though I have been told my whole life that I could do anything I set my mind to do I felt today like that really is true. It's not about being born to the right family, going to the right school, being friends with the right people. She got where she was because of her hard work and on her own merits. I think she would bring fresh ideas and a fresh point of view to Washington. She will do a great job. There is just so much that I want to say about her but it's 3:00 in the morning and I am so tired I can't keep my eyes open so I'm going to have to save that for tomorrow if I can get a chance between homework and cleaning.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I've seen so much negative about her on the news today!! I'm not liking it!

Roxy said...

Me too. People are just being quick to judge. I bet she'll shut them up in the next few weeks.

Sarah said...

I got up and my dad was watching the Sunday shows this morning...Chris Matthews said something like, "So what about the new VP on the R side, is she going to pull the base together or is she just really good-looking?"

Roxy said...

What he doesn't think she's as pretty as Obama? lol